• Environmentally-friendly milk paint.
• Made from 100% organic materials: purified milk protein, lime, natural fillers and pigment.
• Contains almost one third pharmaceutical grade high calcium lime.
• Does not contain Kaolin Clay as a filler which can be derived from radioactive clays.
• Does not contain solvents (Zero V.O.C. = No Volatile Organic Compounds).
• Comes in a water soluble powder.
• Does not jell within a day of mixing like other milk paints.
• Can be used for minimum two weeks up to one month after mixing.
• Ideal for antique furniture, decks, floors and walls.
• Sticks to raw wood, plaster, dry wall, stone, unsealed brick and concrete.
• No primer needed on raw wood and porous surfaces.
• Will not stick to oil base clear finishes and some painted surfaces. Please see "How to apply Real Milk Paint ® to an Unknown surface" and "How to Paint Walls."
• When curing, lime goes through a process called carbonization. This means that it absorbs carbon dioxide from the air. Real Milk Paint®, when used on interior walls, gives you cleaner indoor air quality.
• Is a porous paint which will breathe and allow the exchange of moisture.
• Virtually odourless during application and while drying.
• Dries fast (30 minutes to 4 hours depending on ambient temperature).
• Provides a variegated, slightly streaky finish and texture which can be sanded for a smoother result.
• The pigments are harvested in the traditional manner and are completely safe, eco-friendly, non-toxic, lead free and not radioactive.
• Available in 28 traditional colors which can be intermixed to create over 100 colors.
• Container sizes:
16 oz: makes 1 pint and covers +/- 35 sq. ft.
32 oz: makes 1 quart and covers +/- 70 sq. ft.
128 oz: makes 1 gallon and covers +/- 280 sq. ft.
Milk Paint Usage Directions
The directions below are directly reprinted from the Real Milk Paint® website.
Each quart contains 2 1/2 cups of powdered milk paint. Choose a glass or plastic container 2 times larger than needed to allow for vigorous mixing by hand. To mix 1 quart add 2 1/2 cups water to entire contents. For smaller portions mix 1 part Real Milk Paint ® to 1 part lukewarm water. Stir vigorously for 1 minute. Stir any contents stuck to bottom. For a smoother paint mix in an old blender or with mechanical agitation. If excessive foaming occurs add a few drops of Anti-Foam. Allow paint to stand 20 minutes stirring occasionally. If too thick add more water. If too thin add more powdered Real Milk Paint ®. Surface must be free of contamination, wax, grease or oils. Clean with T.S.P. Sticks to latex with the addition of Ultra Bond. When applying over other finishes, ALWAYS test for compatibility before full application.
For a brushy old world look use these natural bristle brushes for application For a smoother more uniform painted look use these Foam Brushes. As days and weeks go by, the paint will continue to become more resistant to moisture. After the paint has dried 3-4 hours you may top coat with varnish, oil finish, Pure Tung Oil, lacquer, or wax. Try in inconspicuous area first, the color may change. Wear proper safety equipment, goggles and rubber gloves.
SPRAYING INSTRUCTIONS: To spray, milk paint must be mixed in a blender to a smooth consistency, then strained. A 2.0 orifice or higher for the spray gun is recommended.
CAUTION: Contains calcium hydroxide (lime) may burn eyes and skin. Flush and rinse with warm water immediately.
View the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product.