• Safe, natural alternative to paint thinners
• Use as a direct replacement for mineral spirits and odorless mineral spirits
• Replaces toxic chlorinated solvents, glycol ether, MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), xylene, Freon, and CFC’s parts cleaner
• Made of 98% pure citrus peel oil extracted from the peel of the orange fruit and 2% water
• Is "Water Clear" (and not deep orange like lower grades) so it will not add more amber color when mixed with Real Milk Paint® Pure Tung Oil and Dark Tung Oil
• Does not contain any emulsions, surfactants or any other additives unlike other paint thinners
• Environmentally friendly: can be easily disposed of with no threat to the environment
• Does not damage internal organs when breathed in, unlike paint thinners
• Very versatile, it can be used as hand cleaner, floor cleaner, carpet stain remover, engine degreaser (automotive, aircraft and aerospace industries), metal cleaner, tar and asphalt remover, asbestos shingle remover, graffiti remover, printing press cleaner, electronics cleaner, aerosol ingredient, fragrance additive
• Excellent degreaser
• Use as a grease trap maintainer and in lift station and sewage treatment applications
Citrus Solvent Usage Directions
The directions below are directly reprinted from the Real Milk Paint® website.
USES & APPLICATIONS: As a straight solvent, citrus natural solvent is a paint thinner alternative that can replace a wide variety of products, including mineral spirits, methyl ethyl ketone, acetone, toluene, glycol ethers, and of course fluorinated and chlorinated organic solvents. Replacement for toxic chlorinated solvents, glycol ether, MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), xylene, Freon, and CFC’s parts cleaner, engine degreaser (automotive, aircraft and aerospace industries), electronics cleaning, tar and asphalt remover, asbestos shingle remover, graffiti remover, grease trap maintainer, lift station and sewage treatment applications, hand cleaner, floor cleaner, printing press cleaner, carpet stain cleaner, metal cleaner, aerosol ingredient, fragrance additive, deodorant for petroleum industry, heat transfer medium, and possible candidate for a variety of medical applications.
Citrus Natural Solvent is the major component of the oil extracted from citrus rind. When citrus fruits are juiced, the oil is pressed out of the rind. This oil is separated from the juice, and distilled to recover certain flavor and fragrance compounds. The bulk of the oil is left behind and collected. This is food grade citrus solvent. After the juicing process, the peels are conveyed to a steam extractor. This extracts more of the oil from the peel. When the steam has been condensed, a layer of oil then floats on the surface of the condensed water. The result is technical grade citrus solvent, the type of citrus solvent we offer.
In the past decade, the use of citrus natural solvent has expanded tremendously. Much of the product goes into making paint solids, used into impart an orange fragrance to products, and used as a secondary cooling fluid. But the largest growth segment has been the use of citrus solvent in cleaning products. This has occurred in both industrial uses and in household/institutional products. Citrus solvent can be used either as a straight solvent, or as a water dilatable product.
As with most organic solvents, citrus natural solvent, is not water soluble, so it can be used in the typical water separation units. With KB value of 67, citrus solvent has solubility properties close to that of CFC’s indicating that it is a much better solvent than a typical mineral spirit or paint thinner. Straight citrus solvent can be used as a wipe cleaner, in a dip bath, or in spray systems as a direct substitute for most other organic solvents.
Note: Citrus Natural Solvent can only be ground shipped through UPS (Go Brown) because of it flammability rating; therefore, overnight, second day or any air deliveries are not possible. Whenever possible, it is easier for us to ship UPS as they have a complete tracking system which allows us to track the package. We can ship via Priority Mail through the US Postal Service to Hawaii and off shore locations. Tracking however is not good with USPS.
View the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mineral Spirits and Natural Citrus Solvent
Citrus Natural Solvent – As an Alternative to Odorless Mineral Spirits