About Eco-Building Supplies
Real Milk Paint
Dark Tung Oil
Clear Carnauba Wax
Our Building Projects
New Buildings - Straw/Clay Construction
The New House
Japanese Timber Framers
Timber Frame Workshop So Far
Timber Frame Workshop Conclusion
Adding Flesh to the Bones
Building Projects Progress in 2011
American Clay Wall Plasters
American Clay is a natural product that will impart to your home the texture, color, beauty, and character of the natural world. Because clay plaster is a textured wall finish, people are irresistibly attracted to it and cannot help but reach out to touch it. It also has a calming effect and is restful on the eyes. And, because clay is a natural producer of negative ions, walls covered in it will promote a general sense of well-being, calm, and refreshment.
American Clay is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, non-flammable, and mould, mildew, and fungi resistant (PDF file) --without preservatives or fungicides. What’s more, it helps regulate temperature and humidity.
Though it goes on thin, American Clay provides additional masonry mass, allowing your walls to store heat in the winter and stay cool in the summer, keeping your home's temperature more even (PDF file), and more easily regulated. This extra masonry mass makes American Clay a terrific sound absorber, too.
Clay will absorb moisture when the air is humid and release it when it is dry. This provides a more comfortable living environment that is as good for your respiratory system as it is for your wooden furniture, hardwood floors, and house plants. There are no chemical off-gassings with American Clay, so its overall effect on the air quality is all around positive.
And, because American Clay is a natural producer of negative ions, in addition to its health benefits, as if that wasn't enough, clay walls will naturally repel dust. How about that for a package?
American Clay is recommended for restorations and new construction alike. It is easy to apply and is easily repairable, with a resulting wall finish that will be a living, breathing, natural testament to the quality of your home.
American Clay Earth Plasters can be applied to most wall surfaces, with the exception of ceramic tiles, oriented strand board (OSB), tongue and grooved panels, and other materials that expand and contract as temperatures and moisture levels change.
Available in dozens of gorgeous colors, American Clay Plasters come in four different finishes: Loma™, Porcelina™, Marittimo™, and Enjarre™. They are made of a blend of pure clays and aggregates, with colors that come from natural oxides, and ochre mineral pigments, and borax, a natural mineral anti-moulding agent. There are numerous finish textures to choose from to literally bring life to your home.
Note: More American Clay products are available as special orders. To place an order, e-mail or call 403-329-9157.
• Made with reclaimed marble, sand, and multiple clays
• Beautiful matte colors and rustic feel
• Offers an incredibly wide range of surface possibilities
• To be used as the basecoat for Porcelina™ and Marittimo™ plasters
• Available in 50 lb bags
• Each bag, applied in one coat, will cover 180-220 square feet
Loma™ skip trowel
• A beautiful satin smooth finish, comparable to the Venetian plasters of Italy
• Offers a quality close to "porcelain" ceramics
• Easily blended and well suited for a marble-like finish
• The most frequent choice for formal interiors
• Can be mixed with American Clay Lime Putty
• Available in 50 lb bags
• Each bag, applied in one coat, will cover 300-350 square feet
• Uses crushed shells from the U.S. Gulf Coast
• Shell bits give it a unique accent and a faceted luminescence
• Used as a top coat plaster
• Available in 50 lb bags
• Each bag, applied in one coat, will cover 160-180 square feet
• American Clay’s newest product for one coat finishes provides a unique option to homeowners or builders
• Offers affordability for large commercial projects
• Allows starting with a single coat of color integral plaster that can later be covered with a second coat of one of American Clay’s premier plasters
• Comes in 8 premixed standard colors, or in Snow Canyon, which can be mixed with the color of your choice
• Available in 80 lb bags
• Each bag, applied in one coat, will cover 150-180 square feet
Enjarre™ float trowel
American Clay Lime Putty
• Pure high-calcium lime putty
• To be used in conjunction with Loma™, Porcelina™, Marittimo™ and Enjarre™ earth plasters
• Brightens the clay color, hardens the clay and makes it more resistant to water
• Allows clay surfaces to be used as backsplash material in kitchens and bathrooms
• Can be mixed in the clay or diluted in water and brushed on the clay’s surface
• US-produced lime putty
• One of the few lime putties on the market to be eligible for LEED points (PDF file) in the green building process
American Clay Color Packs
• Available in 34 Destination Colors and 8 Natural Depth accents
• Each 50 lb. bag comes with a pack of the color of your choice, which allows you to mix the color in and create the shade and consistency you want
• Because American Clay uses natural oxides and ochres, your finish will be naturally resistant to UV rays and will not fade as other finishes normally do
Important Tip: Lime has a dramatic effect on ultramarine blue pigments, and American Clay’s current pigments are not lime-safe. So if you want to mix lime in your clay plaster, you need to consider the color you choose. Click here (PDF file) for more information.
Japanese Poly Plastic Pointed Trowel
• High quality Japanese plastic trowel
• Very flexible, it makes clay application easier because it is lighter and thinner than normal trowels
• Ideal for top coats, applying clay in tight corners, and special techniques
• Well suited to apply the Porcelina™ finish
• Length: 240 mm